2024 garden season

/ 2024 garden season #102  
Few years back I bought a couple bags of sunflower bird feed when it was on sale early. That's what I plant, nothing special.
Put the 2 50lbers in the garage.
No mouse issues.
But the mouths started to hatch and they got everywhere in the house.
Fortunately most of my dry goods get put in glass jars with the lockdown lids.
My oatmeal, flour etc survived.
However the moths were in every part of the house and it took several months to get rid of them.
When I sifted through the seed it was hard to find any good ones.
Now I buy the seed just before using it, forget any early sales.

/ 2024 garden season #103  
Few years back I bought a couple bags of sunflower bird feed when it was on sale early. That's what I plant, nothing special.
Put the 2 50lbers in the garage.
No mouse issues.
But the mouths started to hatch and they got everywhere in the house.
Fortunately most of my dry goods get put in glass jars with the lockdown lids.
My oatmeal, flour etc survived.
However the moths were in every part of the house and it took several months to get rid of them.
When I sifted through the seed it was hard to find any good ones.
Now I buy the seed just before using it, forget any early sales.
Well these weren't on sale. Just ordered last month.

/ 2024 garden season #104  
Well these weren't on sale. Just ordered last month.
I hope the supplier replaced for free. I can't imagine your order being the only one.

I have heard of organic seed containers being stored, surrounded by containers of treated seed to prevent infestation. Not sure how well that works though.

I have buddy who bought one of those small grain mills to grind his own flour and corn meal, buying grains 50 lbs. at a time, then storing in food grade 5 gallon buckets w/lids. When he got down to the last 2 buckets of each, he found it had been infested with some sort of pest. He asked me how that could happen in sealed buckets. Apparently, he and many other people did not realize that pest's eggs are laid in grain in the Fall, or during storage and stay dormant for a period of time and hatch out later. The look on his face when I told him he'd been eating those bug eggs probably all his life was priceless.

I know at one time Bisquik had listed in their ingredients Diatomaceous Earth to kill any pests in the pkg. I don't believe they put it on there anymore but remember reading it in the list when I first heard abut it.

/ 2024 garden season #105  
I fenced my garden in with 8' field fence to keep the deer out. Now I see little coon tracks all over. Picked up a coon trap and some sardines yesterday. I guess I'm going in the trapping business.

/ 2024 garden season #106  
I fenced my garden in with 8' field fence to keep the deer out. Now I see little coon tracks all over. Picked up a coon trap and some sardines yesterday. I guess I'm going in the trapping business.
I had to staple my fence down as the ground hogs would get underneath...

/ 2024 garden season #107  
Thankfully we don't have any ground creatures here in SC. Other than moles. And they are bad this year. My ground mole dog passed away and the moles know it.

/ 2024 garden season #108  
Yeah, they are replacing the seeds for free, and I'm certain I'm not the only one. They were in two packages. It may be a week or two before I can plant them though.

/ 2024 garden season #109  
250 lbs. of potatoes planted at Smeck Historical Farm Park Baltimore, OH. in about 40-45 minutes today. Gawd I love this little planter..!!

/ 2024 garden season #110  
I got four more rows of corn in this week. The new seeds were perfect. Last weeks planting is already up! 360 sweet corn plants in the ground 1080 more to go!
Buckwheat is blooming too