Side jobs with your tractor

/ Side jobs with your tractor #31  
I have a Harley 8 foot rake. I never know when to stop. The first pass is always the most impressive and then it's a case of diminishing returns. I guess if it's hourly, you can ask, is that good enough, but often the person paying the bill, isn't around.

On a side note, I guess you could also argue the merits of bringing in top soil vs Harley raking.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #32  
We should all have insurance to cover our tractors and us using them even if you are doing good deeds or being a good neighbor. If you get hurt it may not be you that sues. It will be an insurance company or hospital that is looking to recoup a loss. Can make a good deed turn into a lost friendship or ugly situation and you did not initiate except for a good deed.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #33  
Insurance! Make sure you are up front with the agent about the commercial work. If you, God forbid, have a problem while on a job and have just a home/farm policy, they can (and will) deny coverage.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #34  
I have neighbors who ARE NOT a joy to deal with socially. There is no way I would want to get involved with any of them - on any type of commercial venture. I'm just very pleased to work on my own property and deal with any problems I might encounter here. For me - life is too short to be dealing with commercial squabbles.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #35  
Using your tractor for side jobs is a smart move. I remember when I faced a similar situation. I had a tractor sitting around and decided to offer landscaping services to neighbors. It started with simple tasks like mowing lawns and clearing snow, but soon expanded to bigger projects like land grading and brush removal. Before I knew it, I was earning extra cash on the side. If you're looking to make 100 dollars a day with your tractor, consider offering services like land clearing, driveway grading, or even hauling.

Last edited:
   / Side jobs with your tractor #36  
When I bought my Kubota B7100 with FEL & hoe back in 1979, sub compact tractors were just becoming popular. I bought it mainly for excavating around the house I was building. While I was digging the trench for the underground electric service, an electrician, who was passing by, stopped to look at the small machine. He had a few trenching jobs in tight locations and asked if I would be interested in sub contracting for him. That got me started in the contracting business.

A similar thing happened when I was digging a septic system perc pit for a neighbor. The local sewer inspector was impressed by the little tractor and I wound up working for him part time as well.

I never started an official business and didn't advertise, but word of mouth brought a lot of work my way. I was always covered by the insurance of the contractor I was subbing for, so my overhead was quite low. My biggest expense was buying an old trailer to haul the tractor around. At one point, I was so busy, I considered quitting my day job.

I'm glad I didn't though, since in the next few years, sub compact tractors became more popular. Eventually, around here anyway, it seemed like everybody had one and the demand for my services dried up.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #37  
I do a little side work but I limit it to low risk things like garden tilling, yard grading and leveling, driveway grading and bushhogging and small jobs at that. I turned down a job last week because it was too large and my equipment was too small. I wouldn't use a backhoe at another persons property if I didn't have experience and a lot of insurance. Way too many risks with using a backhoe.

As others have said, don't work for cheap. I have a $150 minimum and unless it is a neighbor or they have close neighbors, that I don't have to trailer, to I won't bend from that minimum. Don't go doing work for $50 or you are losing money. I'm not really making a lot of money at the minimum I set. I don't make a living at it, just gets me out of the house since I work from home.

I have a small yard grading and and a tilling job (Waiting ground to dry out) that will probably take me about 5 or 6 hours combined and have already quoted them a total of $500 for the two jobs and both were fine with that. Just to give you some idea. I have a small tractor or I would have higher prices.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #38  
My new neighbor asked me to disk his newly mowed grown up acre to plant a new food plot.
We agreed on $50/ac.
He was upset when it took 10 times over the acre to even see dirt
My charge was $500.
I did tell him one trip with planter @ $75/ac.
He went and bought his own equipment .

/ Side jobs with your tractor #39  
I was quoted about $700 to open one acre of virgin clay loam sod. I then realized I'd need to till that several times each year for planting, so I bought a tractor and tiller. Each year I save over $1000 by doing the job myself, and I have fun. I'd do side jobs, but some people will want something for nothing.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #40  
I bought the tractor for my use but since I have it neighbors and friends have asked for favors. I usually just do it because I enjoy my seat time and we all take care of each other. Its nice to know though that if SHTF I have my tractor, lawn equipment, saws and hand tools that can all make me money if need be. For now its just for fun.