Bad Boy Starting Issues with Vanguard 36HP

/ Bad Boy Starting Issues with Vanguard 36HP #1  

vortex

Tractor
meh
Just an FYI thread about Bad Boy mowers that have a Vanguard 36HP motor. I have a 2017 Bad Boy Outlaw XP, with the Briggs Vanguard motor. It never cranked over in a way you would call strong since it was new. Dealer looked at it once, couldn't really do anything without Bad Boy support, and, well, their dealer support is non-existent. The factory refused to acknowledge there was an issue. But that is a whole different topic. They refuse to acknowledge any of their issues, in my experience.

After year two, it would no longer start, so I replaced the stock 300 garden CCA battery with a 550 CCA automotive battery, rechecked all the connections, and, it was better. For about 6 months.

Then it went back to slow cranking, or, turning over a half a stroke and stopping against compression, or, just clicking, and not even trying to turn the starter.

After testing about everything between the battery and the starter, and finding no issues, I assumed I'd have to replace the starter. Pulled it all off the mower, and took apart the starter.

Ended up finding a couple of things.... #1, there was corrosion on the plates in front of the field coils in a few spots, and, more annoyingly, there was paint spilled on half of at least two of them, from the factory. Hard to say how much this might have impacted the starter performance... but I cleaned it up before I put it back together, and lubricated the very dry bearings on each end of the starter. Bad quality control on the (surprise) Chinese starter on the Briggs motor.

#2, ran some contact cleaner through the starter solenoid. It didn't seem to be pulling in like it should, when I was bench testing it prior to cleaning it. After contact cleaner, it worked a lot better. Which lead to:

#3, it turns out that Bad Boy didn't wire the starter the way it should have been for the motor (surprise, surprise). The way they wired it - main current goes from the battery into the starter solenoid. A wire goes from the same lug on the starter solenoid, up to a relay somewhere, which is tied to the key for activation, and then back to the engage input on the starter solenoid. Bad Boy underwired this, and they were not delivering enough current to maintain a proper solenoid engagement. So, what would happen, is you would hit the key, and it would either not pull in the solenoid enough at all to engage the starter, or, it would hit, engage the starter, which would pull down the voltage on the input side of the starter, pulling down the voltage to the relay that was supposed to keep it engaged, which would then drop it. Leading to the solenoid dropping, or just being partially pulled in as this happened rapidly. Over time, this likely burned / dirtied the points inside the solenoid, making it get worse and worse.

The contact cleaner through the solenoid seemed to help with the solenoid itself. The fix for the Bad Boy wiring issue, was to get another automotive relay, and take the wire that was coming from the Bad Boy harness and use it to drive the relay. Then take a proper sized wire direct from the battery, thru that relay, and down to the starter solenoid. This keeps proper voltage on the engage trigger for the solenoid, and pulls it in hard enough to deliver proper amperage to the starter.

My dealer gave me the hint about the relay - turns out, he has now had at least 4 of them out in the field with this same issue. And multiple people at Bad Boy corp still refused to acknowledge the issue. Until one day, he managed to talk to someone at Bad Boy that actually has a clue - and he just mentioned as an aside - oh, yea, we put together a retrofit kit to fix that issue. Which is nothing more than a relay and some wiring, which they sell for way to much money to fix an issue they caused by not wiring it to the spec of the motor in the first place. All you need is a $10 automotive relay and some wire.

TLDR: If your Vanguard 36HP motor won't start like it should: Pull the starter off, and run some contact cleaner through the solenoid. Then, rewire the engagement circuit with a relay so it gets proper voltage and current direct from the battery. I did mine with 12 Ga wire and a 20 amp fuse. Spins over like a top now, even at 40 degrees. Previously, even when it was new, I'd have to open the free-wheel valves on at least one of the hydro pumps anytime it was below 60 degrees or it wouldn't turn over.

Its rather sad, how Bad Boy manages to build a pretty decent mower at a good price point, but then refuses to have any sort of proper customer support, or fixes for their known problems. I mean, seriously. We contacted the factory folks about my specific mower, for the starting issue. They provided no help at all. They finally realize the issue later, and 1) don't tell their dealers about it, 2) don't follow up with customers they know have the problem, and 3) don't even offer the cheap parts kit for free, much less at a reasonable price.

/ Bad Boy Starting Issues with Vanguard 36HP #2  
Interesting. Sounds like a multitude of issues contributing to a problem that you solved. I installed starter relays on my Kubota ZD mowers because of voltage issues not activating the solenoid. Only one mower really needed the relay, but while making the wiring up, I just made 2.
Freewheeling the pump motors makes it easier to spin the motor? Never thought of that. In the early spring and late fall my walk behind is a pain to start due to cooler temps. It's a pull start, so it wears me out. In a few weeks I'll definitely try opening up the pump valves first!
Glad you got your issues sorted out.

/ Bad Boy Starting Issues with Vanguard 36HP #3  
An Bad boy wants to get into the tractor business?

/ Bad Boy Starting Issues with Vanguard 36HP #4  
After testing about everything between the battery and the starter, and finding no issues, I assumed I'd have to replace the starter. Pulled it all off the mower, and took apart the starter.

Ended up finding a couple of things.... #1, there was corrosion on the plates in front of the field coils in a few spots, and, more annoyingly, there was paint spilled on half of at least two of them, from the factory. Hard to say how much this might have impacted the starter performance... but I cleaned it up before I put it back together, and lubricated the very dry bearings on each end of the starter.
I'm a little lost on what you are referring to as "corrosion on the plates in front of the field coils "
Are you referring to the Armature ?

1647308771466.png

Exploded diagram of a starter motor
1- Main Housing (yoke)
2- Overrunning clutch
3- Armature (rotor)
4- Field coils
5- Brushes
6- Solenoid

/ Bad Boy Starting Issues with Vanguard 36HP
I'm a little lost on what you are referring to as "corrosion on the plates in front of the field coils "
Are you referring to the Armature ?
It was a little odd. I should have taken a pic.

pre-engaged-starter.png

The Field windings themselves sat back behind metal plates, more like this one. The armature had a few bits of rust, but those plates had a bunch of rust, and, 2 of the four plates had obvious paint run / smeared over them, covering 1/3 of the surface. I don't really have a good idea how much a coating would impact the magnetic field, if any, however.

Better example:
FME92EBH0OJ6PL5.jpg

/ Bad Boy Starting Issues with Vanguard 36HP #7  
Paint would not have made a difference there.

And that wouldnt have been a bad boy issue anyway....that would have been a briggs issue.

Hard to follow what you are talking about regarding a relay. Are you saying bad boy did not use a relay to activate the starter solenoid? And only the power through the key switch direct to the starter? And that adding a relay fixed the issue?

They have a relay on the key, (actually, several, with all the other safety interlocks that are all tied in) that provides the power for the starter solenoid. But some combination of undersized wire / length of wire / weak relays was causing it to not deliver enough current to the starter solenoid to properly pull it in - or keep it pulled in. The source of that power in the first place was also the hot lug of the starter - which is the place where the voltage is going to be pulled down the most when the starter draws current. Pretty sure this was causing a feedback loop where the starter would pull current, drop the voltage going to the relay chain, the one of the relays would let go, the starter solenoid would release, the voltage would recover, and then the solenoid would pull in again. All happening very rapidly, causing it to burn the points in the solenoid, as it kept jumping open and closed.

By using a short length of 12ga wire, direct from the battery, through 1 dedicated relay, to the starter solenoid, the starter solenoid gets pulled in properly, and held in when it is supposed to be. I also moved the power source for the BadBoy relay chain off of the starter lug, and back to the battery. That, and running contact cleaner through the starter solenoid has made a huge difference. It never cranked this well, even when new.

Paint would not have made a difference there.

And that wouldnt have been a bad boy issue anyway....that would have been a briggs issue.
Yea, I think back when my Vanguard was built, it was still from Daihatsu in Japan, which I believe is owned by Toyota... Its one of the reasons why I went with the Vanguard - its historically been really good. But the starter was sourced from China, per the part numbers I found on it. The solenoid, on the other hand, had Japanese part numbers.

Looks like now, Briggs has moved production of Vanguard back in-house, for better or worse....

/ Bad Boy Starting Issues with Vanguard 36HP #10  
Good to know as I was looking at them at Tractor Supply, but then most of the powered equipment that TSC sells is questionable stuff anyway and if there is an issue, TSC is totally unable to address it so with their obviously poor warranty attitude, I've crossed them of my list entirely.