JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #31  
Richard, that's a slick design. I've been contemplating how I'd integrate the A pillars to the loader mounts myself.

I'm curious why you didn't tie into the side plates though?

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #32  
Did some one say limb riser's?:laughing:
I had to "wiggle" them around the exhaust and allow for the hood to open. As you can see the front attaches to the cab roof sub frame and the very utilitarian grill guard. It's 2x3x 3/16 tube that matches the factory ROPS. It saved my grill & hood just last week & took a good thumping from a stuck log chained to the grapple up high at grill level that all of a sudden cut loose & swung to the tractor.

Attachments

• DSCN3810.JPG
    DSCN3810.JPG
    368.6 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCN3811.JPG
    DSCN3811.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 539
  • DSCN4250.JPG
    DSCN4250.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 666
   / JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #33  
One little thing I did when building the canpoy that take's up no space and is way more handy than I ever thought it would be is to provide a space on your new front pillar to mount a digging bar for attaching 3 pt. stuff and a lot of other things-if you have one with you!:thumbsup:
It's a little hard to see (its painted orange) but one pic shows the bottom mount and the other the top tab with a hole in it that you slide the top of the bar into. This is about a 4' "pinch bar" as I know them to be called.

Attachments

• DSCN7418.JPG
    DSCN7418.JPG
    409.7 KB · Views: 604
  • DSCN3380.jpg
    DSCN3380.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 596
   / JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build
Eric (rustyiron), thanks for your contribution as well. I admire your fabrication abilities.

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #35  
Richard, that's a slick design. I've been contemplating how I'd integrate the A pillars to the loader mounts myself.

I'm curious why you didn't tie into the side plates though?

Sorry, I dont understand the question?

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #36  
Ovrszd, I'm mentally planning my cage. Do the 'A' pillars get in the way of ingress or egress at all? Have you knocked your head on it?

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #37  
Sorry, I dont understand the question?

You made an upside down U and placed two welds on the cross tubes. Why not make a L and weld to the vertical side of the loader mount and the cross tube?

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #38  
You made an upside down U and placed two welds on the cross tubes. Why not make a L and weld to the vertical side of the loader mount and the cross tube?

The vertical is cast. It is not a flat smooth surface on the backside. Throw in the fact that it also would be an almost blind weld and it was just easier to do it like I did. I'm a bit lazy and always look for easy. :)

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #39  
Ovrszd, I'm mentally planning my cage. Do the 'A' pillars get in the way of ingress or egress at all? Have you knocked your head on it?

Surprisingly they are not in the way at all. Never know they are there. I welded a grab handle on the left one but never use it. This certainly is not because I thought about it in my design. It just worked out that way. :)

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build
I have had egress in mind ever since I put the plywood top on mine and smacked my head the first time. The front post will only hinder getting a 5 gallon can onto the hood to fuel up, but I tryed the in and out routine a few times during the mock up stage, no issues. Like Richard, I will likely add handles to the front post, but more for use in the seat, not egress. The last thing I want to do in a rollover situation is grab for a place to brace myself, grab the post, and get my fingers smashed.